Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Super Saturday

I was asked by the women's group at my church to teach a painting class for a Super Saturday event.  I have taught private lessons a couple of times, and it wasn't really my thing, so I was pretty nervous to teach a class of fifteen people.  On top of that, we are going to be moving to a new home this weekend, so the timing wasn't the greatest.

In spite of my hesitation, I said yes, and I am so glad I did!  It was a wonderful experience both for me and the women taking the class.  The fact that it was a volunteer opportunity was a big bonus for me.  I didn't have to worry about making sure that everyone "got their money's worth" from my class.  Almost all of my students were beginners, and some of them had never painted before.  So it was a good chance for me to experiment with an actual class rather than just an individual.

I decided to keep things simple and teach a project rather than the basics of design.  That way, the women would each have something concrete to take home and show their husbands or friends.  I received a lot of very positive feedback from most of the women.  Some of the responses I received was that the class was "relaxing", "fun", and "really enjoyable". 

Some of the women expressed interest in learning more about painting, so I felt like I had done my job!

I wish I had remembered to take pictures.  I took my camera, but forgot about it once I got teaching.  You will just have to take my word for it that we had a good time and that everyone's projects turned out really amazing!

No comments: