Monday, March 19, 2012

The Awards Ceremony

I just got back from the Awards Ceremony for the 9th International Art Competition. It was a VERY long drive there and another long drive back. But I am very glad that I have such a wonderful husband and kids that are willing to pack up and spend five days in the car just so that I could attend the ceremony.

I found out some interesting numbers at the ceremony. There were exactly 1155 entries to the show. 260 pieces of art were shipped to the Museum of Church History and Art for the second round of judging. 198 pieces were accepted into the show. There were 20 Merit Awards given out and 15 Purchase Awards (which is the one that I received).

 A couple of people spoke about the history of the competition and the significance of it. It has been a tradition now for 27 years and has helped many LDS artists gain exposure and a receptive audience for their work. Many of the great Mormon artists alive today got their start in this competition (Walter Raine for one). Much of the artwork that was accepted into the show leaned toward modern styles. A quote was read (I wish I could remember who it was by!) from an artist saying that uplifting artwork enriches the soul. It does so much good for a person, that it should be as essential to us as a kitchen table and chairs.
Here I am with my brother and his wife during the Awards Ceremony.  I'm on the left, my brother Jensen is in the middle, and his wife Vivian is on the right.
One of the things that I absolutely love about the LDS Art Competition is all the support and excitement that surrounds it.  Hundreds of people show up to show their support and see the newest artwork by LDS artists.
My little girl and I by my painting.  I had the privilege of speaking to many patrons and art lovers that attended the reception.  Meeting and getting to know new people is one of my favorite parts of my job!

No comments: