Monday, April 11, 2011

The Gifted - A Novel by Deborah Andreasen


Pyper just wants a normal life. But ever since the day she died, she’s been able to control objects with her mind. What she can’t control is a mother who fears Pyper’s ability and the possibility of it being discovered. Pyper only finds solace in her friend and brother, Baler. When Pyper moves to yet another new school, she meets Kael, who takes an immediate interest in her. He knows her secret, and he needs her help saving the Fae people. The problem is, Pyper doesn’t believe in Faeries. But when her brother is abducted, Pyper doesn’t have much choice. Can she really save a race she doesn’t believe exists? Can she rescue her brother? And can she accept her second chance at life?

* * * * * * * * * * *

Deborah Andreasen is the author of the newly released YA fantasy novel The Gifted. She is also a good friend of mine and was my roommate in college. The first time I heard about The Gifted was after Deborah participated in NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month) a few years ago. This novel was the product of a crazy month of writing like a mad-woman. Of course, a month of key pounding did not produce a finished book ready to publish. She spent countless hours editing, rewriting, editing, rewriting, and editing her book. She entered it into the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest where it reached the top 100 finalists out of 10,000 entries. At this point, it was reviewed by Publisher's Weekly.

Finally, we are all given the opportunity to read this exciting novel that Deborah has spent so much time creating. A couple weeks ago, The Gifted was released for sale through Amazon in both print and Kindle versions. I immediately bought two copies of the book - one for me and one to give away as a gift.

I didn't plan this, but it just so happened that I ran into the mail man when he was bringing the package up to my apartment. Unabashed, I simply asked him if the package he was carrying was for me. It was, so I took it and headed home. I started reading and didn't stop until I had turned the very last page.

The Gifted is an exciting, action packed fantasy novel that will keep you turning pages from cover to cover. The characters are fascinating and keep the reader interested in the story from start to finish. My favorite part of the story were the descriptions of Pypers ability. I almost felt like I was Pyper and that I was the one controlling things with my mind. The climax was exciting and riveting.

While the story and characters were wonderfully developed and the descriptions invited the reader into the experience even more, the best part about this book was that it was 100% clean. There is a romantic side to this story, but it never gets questionable. There was no vulgarity or anything that would make me squirm in my seat. I would feel completely at ease recommending this book to all ages.


No comments: