This is my drawing. It took many days and many tears to get this drawing to look the way I wanted it too. When I create portraits or paintings that require very accurate drawing, I will draw it first in charcoal and then transfer the drawing to the canvas that I will paint on.
This is the beginning of the painting. It's not too bad and at this point, I honestly thought it was going to work out. But it was shortly after this point that things went downhill (fast!) and I lost my controlled, accurate brushwork.
This is an extremely difficult project for me to do. I don't have Joseph Smith (he died almost 200 years ago) to sit down in front of me. So I have used several different forms of reference material to collect all the information that I need in order to paint this properly. I am fairly confident that I know where I went wrong with this painting, so I should be able to start over again with much better results. In the meantime, I am working on a few other projects as well, and I will be posting more on those as I get into them.