Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Up and Coming Projects

I just realized that I haven't posted anything in quite some time. I get so busy chasing my two little kids around that I seem to forget that I have a blog that requires upkeep! However, between diapers changes and laundry loads, I have started to work (or rework) a new project. About a year ago, I started working towards creating a portrait of the prophet Joseph Smith. The project never saw it's completion, or even very much of a beginning. My baby was born in February and everything just fell apart from there.

Recently, I have begun to pick up the pieces of my creativity and put them back together. I have been feeling compelled to work on this portrait. I have created dozens of sketches already and built another clay maquette to use for reference. The big problem that I keep running into however, is the fact that I can't have Joseph Smith himself sit down in front of me and pose. As I was working yesterday, I received the impression that perhaps I don't necessarily need THE Joseph Smith, but perhaps someone that looks similar would do. Then I can use the death mask as reference to make the necessary adjustments so that the finished product will look like the prophet who was martyred over 150 years ago.

This project is at the point where I can't stop thinking about it. I am a bit of an obsessive person; when I get into something, I really get into it. Right now, I am obsessed with this painting and it has to get done (and done right) before I can move on to something else.

No comments: