Friday, August 7, 2009

Taking My Own Advice

There are some paintings that I have a really hard time completing. It doesn't stem from laziness or lack of inspiration or creativity. Nope - fear is what causes me to procrastinate the hours away and prevents me from completing the work I need to. There are some paintings that are of such a sensitive subject matter that I literally fear working on them. I will find numerous other projects to occupy my time and keep me busy while the one project that constantly sits in the back of my mind sits unfinished.

My last few posts have been about avoiding procrastination. So now it is time for me to take my own advice and stop putting off those projects that have more meaning and the possibility of inviting a spirit of reverence and peace into someone's home.

In case all of this jargon doesn't make any sense. I am talking about the painting "Hosanna" depicting Palm Sunday that I have been working on for the past month. Today I decided that I have painted it enough in my mind and it is time to apply real paint to the paper. Sensitive subjects are always hard for me to paint. My expectations for such works of art are so high, and I do not treat religious subjects lightly. Many hours of prayer and study go into each piece. But with all paintings, there comes a point of "now or never" and I believe that I have reached that point. I am hoping that the rest of my day goes according to plan and that I will have a beautiful painting to post here tomorrow. Please stay tuned to be first to see my newest painting!

No comments: