Thursday, August 6, 2009

Avoiding Procrastination

Ablaze - 8 x 10
Oil on Canvas Panel
$100
Copyright of Dena McMurdie 2009

My last post was on the power of groups and how it helps with procrastination. Procrastination is something that almost every artist struggles with from time to time. How does an artist deal with and overcome procrastination?

One method that has worked reasonably well for me is to make a "to do" list at the beginning of each day. I find that when I have specific goals for each day written down, I am much more motivated to move down the list and cross things off as I get them done. It also puts my responsibilities for the day into perspective. I feel more motivated and empowered to accomplish the things that I need to that day.

The one drawback to the list idea is that sometimes I get a little too ambitious first thing in the morning and create a list that is impossible to complete. When I only get through the first few items and see the long list of responsibilities left that I didn't get done, I tend to get discouraged. It is important to remember to be realistic and realize that you won't always be able to complete everything you had planned for that day. Make lists that are possible to complete. If you don't get to something, don't sweat it too much, just move it to the next day's list and go from there.

No comments: