Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hosanna: Watercolor Study of Palm Sunday

Hosanna - 9 x 12
Watercolor
Copyright of Dena McMurdie 2009

I finally finished my watercolor study of "Hosanna" depicting Christ's triumphant entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. I wanted this to be an impressionistic style painting that would speak of the event, and not linger on details.

It is amazing how the vision in my head changes dramatically from the original idea. I insist on doing all the research I am able to do, and in so doing, I always discover new information and insights that evolve my original design.

Research for this piece included studying the account in the book of Matthew, searching for the direction Christ entered the city (he came from the east, having just left the Mount of Olives), deciding where the light source would be coming from, and reading various articles that included information on the event.

One article I read was called, "Children at Peace" by Michaelene P. Grassli that appeared in the November 1988 issue of the Ensign. She mentions that the multitude that gathered to greet Jesus was an extremely large crowd "probably waiting along the narrow streets of Jerusalem becoming more and more excited as they strained to see if he was coming yet." Once I read that line, the entire image in my mind shifted, changed into a scene of anticipation and welcome. Although the figure of Christ remains the focal point, he was no longer in the foreground. The image became very clear to me, very obvious.

I am constantly amazed at the amount of time and hard work that go into creating an inspirational piece of art. Many hours are spent drawing, sketching, researching, and praying. I truly believe that my Father in Heaven guides the decisions that I make with these paintings. He knows my strengths and weaknesses and through my diligence and sweat, He transforms my weaknesses into strengths

Sign up for my newsletter to receive updates on my artwork and upcoming events!

To purchase this painting, please CONTACT ME. I accept payment via check, credit card, or PayPal.

No comments: