Friday, June 1, 2012

Rainbows





My four year old daughter has gotten into making "cards".  She makes dozens of them every day.  Sometimes they have stickers, but they almost always have people and rainbows on them.  The little thing that looks like Humpty Dumpty  in the lower left corner is supposed to be her younger sister standing next to a rainbow. 

As the proud mother of such a creative little girl, I am almost always the recipient of these cards.  She approaches me with an expectant smile and her hands behind her back.  She'll say to me, "Guess what Mom?"

Then I smile and say, "Yes?"

She smiles bigger and whips the card out from behind her back with a triumphant, "TA DA!" and hands it to me.  I gush over how beautiful it is and tell her how happy it makes me and then we repeat the entire process every few minutes for the rest of the day.

She has made cards for grandparents and mailed them, she made cards for her friends and handed them out, she made cards for her daddy and pummeled him with them when he got home from work.  I am so grateful to have such a beautiful and thoughtful little girl.  She reminds me what really matters in life, and that is family.  Friends come and go.  Jobs, places, and homes can all change in the blink of an eye, but families are forever.

No comments: