Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Reading

I might as well admit my one major guilty pleasure: I love to read. I could honestly sit and read for 20 hours out of the day and be perfectly content.

Due to my love of reading, my wonderful husband bought me a Kindle for Mother's Day. I was so surprised and thrilled! Instantly, I began downloading all my favorites: Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, and A Girl of the Limberlost, to name a few. Currently, I am reading Life of Pi. I started just this afternoon and am loving what I'm reading so far. It sounds VERY interesting. I may be slightly biased, however. The author mentions Canada several times and says how much he loves it.

My mom gave me a book about a month ago called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's a mouthful right? At first I was a little skeptical, thinking that it was probably a book that was published in the 70s and not really my taste. In spite of my skepticism, I began reading (it was published in 2008) and was completely and pleasantly delighted in the story. It is a historical fiction novel about a woman that lives in London. It takes place just after the second World War has ended. She starts up a friendship with a group of people on the island of Guernsey (one of the Channel Islands between England and France). The story made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me think. Books like this don't come along every day, or even every year. It was a fantastic read, and I am so glad that I beat down my inner pessimist and took a chance on a book (and an island) that I knew absolutely nothing about. What a treat.

No comments: