Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Learning Experience

Since my Joseph Smith portrait didn't turn out quite the way I wanted it to, I decided to take a small "break" from it and work on another project to get my creative juices flowing again.

Several years ago, I bought an old-looking golf cap and I have been itching to use it in a painting ever since. My husband is a great sport when it comes to modeling. He is always willing to get dressed up in whatever costume I hand him. I think he believes that if he dresses up for enough paintings, at least one of them will make me rich and famous. And he wants me to be rich just as much as I do.

Once I completed my drawing, I started the process of transferring it onto the canvas I will be painting on. I grabbed a charcoal stick and started rubbing it on the back of my drawing to make a homemade carbon copy. It was no big deal, I've done this hundreds of times.

The problem that I ran into came when I finished coloring in the back of the paper. Charcoal leaves excess powder behind whenever you rub it on a flat surface. So I picked up the paper by the edges so all the powder would fall to the middle and not all over the floor. I wasn't near a trash can, and so I thought for a moment and determined that the next best idea would be the toilet. I headed into the bathroom and poured the excess charcoal into the toilet and flushed.

BAD IDEA! Apparently I missed the memo on flushing charcoal remains down the toilet. Now, my toilet is pitch black because the charcoal didn't flush at all, it just clung to the sides of the toilet bowl. It looks terribly disgusting, and I can't believe I created that much work for myself simply because the trash can was too far away! I guess I know how I'll be spending the afternoon!

This is the drawing that I was working on. I am super excited to start painting on it. But first I have to scrub out all the black powder from inside my toilet.

On a random and unrelated note, I had the hankering for coconut cream pie last night and so I whipped one up. I haven't had one of these since I was in high school. I must admit that I simply love homemade pies, and cream pies are my absolute favorite.

No comments: