Tuesday, January 11, 2011
My Joseph Smith project has been in the back of my mind for the past few weeks, nagging and nagging at me, in hopes of being worked on. I finally got a chance, and designated today as the day that I would start seriously working on my drawings. So since this was going to be the first time that I’ve seriously drawn in a long time, I needed to warm up and see where I was. So I drew this portrait of my husband. It has some problems that I can see, and I know where I need to make changes for next time. Some of the values contrast too much in some places and not enough in others. But, I did think that it turned out pretty well for being my first drawing in quite a while. Now I know where I’m at and I can proceed with more caution (and more skill) when I start on the actual Joseph Smith drawings. I will be completing a series of three paintings, one of which will be based off of this pose (which is why I decided to practice on this one). I know it is going to take a lot more work, but I am ready for it. This is one project that continues to pop to the forefront of my mind throughout the day. I want to get it finished!