Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Creativity Can't be Forced

Peachcots - 11 x 14
Oil on Canvas Panel
$600
Copyright Dena McMurdie 2009

Call me a huge nerd if you so choose, but I am a fan of the "Twilight" book series. I was reading some Q & A on Stephenie Meyer's website yesterday about her plans for upcoming books and unfinished projects. She said something that rang true to me:

"...it is not a simple matter of sitting down in front of my computer and typing out the words; the words have to be there in my head to type out, and right now, they're not. I have to be in the zone to write any story, and trying to force myself into that zone is a waste of time, I've found."

I can relate to her words entirely. When I sit down to paint, I have to feel inspired, the image HAS to be in my mind in order for me to make any progress. The next step, the brushstrokes, and the colors all have to be in my mind before I can sit down to paint. I cannot force myself into creating a masterpiece or feeling creative. Of course, there are things that I can do to help my situation. Looking through art books, reading art blogs, and even looking back over my old artwork will often give me the kick in the pant that I need to jump start my creativity and enthusiasm. But on those days (and there will always be those days) when no jump start is possible, I will choose to pursue other interests rather than half-heartedly dab at a canvas just to throw it away at the end of my painting session.

No comments: