Saturday, October 17, 2009

Where is all the Originality?

Last night my husband and I rented a video that we had been wanting to see for a while. We got about twenty minutes into the film when we turned it off. The jokes were horrible, the acting was mediocre at best, and the story was non-existent. As I returned the movie today, I thought to myself, "Why is it so impossible to find a good movie these days? Everything is filled with either sex, violence, or offensive language."

I can't help but wonder where our society is if all we can produce are the same kinds of degrading entertainment. Does nobody have morals anymore? What happened to originality? Where did that go? Are these pathetic movies really all that Hollywood's great creative minds have to offer? Are there honestly no better ideas out there?

When I daydream (which is quite often), I dream that my artwork will be remembered throughout history. I dream that I will create original and monumental works of art that will inspire and uplift people for generations to come. So often I find that artists tend to create something that will "make a statement" or go for the "shock effect". Sure, these types of artwork might get you publicity NOW, but what about 10 years from now? What about after you die? You must consider what type of legacy you want to leave behind. Do you want to be one of the thousands of artists that will die unknown and unappreciated because they spent their lifetime trying to create the next Big Shocker? If you are like me, the shock effect is not something you aspire for, it is something that you avoid. I only work and aspire to leave a legacy behind me that is influential and will make the world a more lovely place to live.

With my own artwork, I seek to create anything that is virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy. By praiseworthy I don't mean that I want the praise of society, but rather, I want to know that my Father in Heaven is pleased with what I am doing. The purpose of my artwork is to uplift the soul and instill a feeling of peace and happiness in the heart of the viewer.

No comments: