Thursday, October 8, 2009

Copying the Masters


I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I received "Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting" as a gift. I am impressed with Richard Schmid's enthusiasm for accuracy. One of my favorite quotes so far is this:

"Never knowingly leave anything wrong on your canvas"

What a wonderful statement! How often as artists, do we make a mistake or realize that something isn't working right but leave it there anyway? Whether it's laziness or a lack of knowing how to fix the problem, we have all done it from time to time.

The drawing in this post is a copy of one of the paintings in the book. One of the best ways to learn more about art is to copy from the masters. Of course, you can never sell a copy, but you will learn about the master's technique and problem solving skills.

No comments: